Turkey Meatball Curry Soup
I definitely have my favorite proteins: ribeye, salmon, and bacon, but I was surprised how nutritious turkey (especially the dark meat) can be, so I have started to incorporate turkey more into my meal plans.
And this is by far one of my favorite soups! I love green curry soup base and the turkey meatballs filled with chives and cilantro are so moist and tender. This is one of my go-to recipes for the fall, winter, and colder spring days. Delicious and nutritious! This recipe serves 2.
Ingredients for the turkey meatballs:
1 lb dark meat turkey, ground
2 tablespoons chopped chives
¼ cup chopped cilantro
zest of 1 lime
1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for the curry:
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 garlic cloves, grated (optional)
4 inch piece of ginger, grated
2 tablespoons of green curry powder/paste
1 15oz can coconut milk
1 ½ cup chicken stock
1 ½ cup of cubed butternut squash
2 large handfuls of spinach
1 lime, cut into wedges
1. First combine all the ingredients for the meatballs. I love to use my Kitchenaid mixer for this! Then I shape them in to 1-inch meatballs and set aside while preparing the curry.
2. In a medium sized pot, heat the coconut oil over a medium high heat. Then add the garlic, ginger, and curry powder, stirring frequently until fragrant. Then add the coconut milk, chicken stock, and butternut squash, reducing the heat to medium. Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until the squash is al dente.
3. Add the turkey meatballs. They should take another 10 minutes or so to cook through. ***Be gentle with the meatballs after you first add them to the soup. Don't stir them too much until they start to cook through to keep them from breaking. I slowly turn them over after about 5 minutes of cooking.
4. When the meatballs are cooked through, right before serving, add the spinach, and stir in until wilted.
5. To serve, finish with a fresh squeeze of lime.